How to Write a Rap Song
in Just a Few Days
Stop thinking, start learning! If you want to be a rapper, one essential thing about a rap song is to know the fundamental principles how to write meaningful rap lyrics. True rap is more than just rhyming one word with another. The following guide how to write a rap song can really help you to create your own rap masterpiece.
If you have ever played games such as chess, poker or other sport games, you should know that you do your best being confident and predicting what is to happen next.
This is called thinking one step ahead of your words plus keeping in rhythm with the beat, in rap. This is easier said than done, but “perfect practice makes perfect” pretty fast, they say.
So, if you want to learn how to write a rap song quickly, it can be done anyway. All you just need is to train yourself to be in the right mind frame when writing raps.
- First of all it is important to get the vocabulary, so you have to read some dictionary, encyclopedia, or just a good book before mastering how to write rap songs.
- Secondly, simply get focused, as your lyrics should have an objective and bring a message rather than simply making words rhyme.
- So, get a notebook to meet your rap lyrics anywhere: at work, at home, at school, while sleeping, on the toilet, etc. You are to be ready to write them down and be able to remember them later on.
- This is tough trying to keep a certain tempo for some people, but writing rap lyrics without any beat can help you nothing in how to write a rap song.
- If you are a new rapper, download free audio editing software, it is recommended and works quite well. Then pick the beat you want to use rapping on. You can either search for rap beats on internet, or download some rap beats from any beat distributor. Trying to write the core of your lyrics to a beat is a failure, as you can likely suffer from “writers block”.
- Memorize every word after having worked out a final rap lyrics draft. Performing your first rap song in the studio and reading from your notebook is ridiculous after having learnt how to write rap songs.
- You can now start recording with the help of your mike and audio editing software: load your downloaded beat to the software and record over it. Of course, add emotions so as not to sound like a robot.
- Record again at least 1-3 more times for getting more takes to choose from and make it perfect.
Don’t forget to:
- Think of a subject;
- Make the introduction to your verse strong;
- Set yourself up for and create a good rhyme scheme;
- Notice to use multi-rhymes;
- Let your friends read it and get their opinions;
- Write the chorus;
- Decide the title;
- Have your friends in your song for more various lyrics;
- Get ideas from some good book on how to write a rap song;
- Like real-rapping about your own life;
- Listen to a couple of rap tunes to get fresh ideas;
- Keep your rap original;
- Show the rap to people you trust and ask for advice.
*Do not censor yourself or limit the potential of your expression just because you’re afraid of offending someone.
*Don’t get upset just because some people don’t like how you write your rap songs. In most cases, there will be more lovers than haters.
*Don’t be lazy: persistence but not the talent, is the key to being successful.